?

Log in

No account? Create an account
April 2012   01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cryin' Sam 2

Patient Zero

Posted on 2006.11.02 at 18:50
Current Mood: sicksick
Current Music: Pavement - Space Ghost End Jam
After the fever hit 103.7 (39.8 for you celsius types) this morning,, I was finally told to come in to see the doctor. The CDC has begun sending out kits to actually test for the strain of flu that they are anticipating. Guess what? I am flu positive. Not only that, but they were checking all the websites, because no one had heard of a case in Massachusetts yet this year. The places here are only just beginning to give out innoculations next week. So I may be the first one in the Commonwealth with the flu. How did that happen?

Oh and I probably also have pneumonia.
A two in one.
Lucky me.
Fortunately I have a beautiful raven-tressed nurse.

Comments:


niyabinghi
niyabinghi at 2006-11-03 00:56 (UTC) (Link)
I had pneumonia for the bulk of October, it's no fun! Get lots of rest and take care of yourself.
metalclarinet
metalclarinet at 2006-11-03 04:15 (UTC) (Link)

pneumonia.

No joke, serious stuff. I have heard that pneumonia causes some permanent damage. Consider yourself in the high risk group and treat yourself to a flu shot early each year.

So, plan on a 99% recovery and plan to offset the other 1% by being slightly ruder to folks who want to subject you to second hand smoke.

Raven-tressed nurse = good
trussed raven nurse = bad
Jonathan
theservant at 2006-11-03 12:32 (UTC) (Link)

Re: pneumonia.

Yeah, I've heard pneumonia called the "old man's friend" because it tends to carry off the elderly fairly quickly. The thing is, most places here are not even giving flu shots yet- I was going to get one this weekend at Walgreen's, which was the first place I could find, and my doctor's office wasn't giving them out until next wednesday. I already am sort of high risk because I am asthmatic. Basically, this is totally weird that I got it this early, and nobody was expecting it, and the doctors basically didn't believe it was flu until they did their little test. They then regarded me as a curiosity, one of the doctors in the office passing me as I was leaving and saying "Wow, you really DO have it!"
(Anonymous) at 2006-11-04 06:34 (UTC) (Link)

Re: pneumonia.

I was going to mention the "old man's friend" expression, which I heard from a doctor. It sounds like a bad way to go, but he says that actually you slip away in your sleep and it is a lot better than most alternatives. It got my father, who had some type of degenerative brain disorder -- not exactly Alzheimer's, but similar. However, Like many Alzheimer's patients, he forgot how to swallow completely and aspirated food -- leading to pneumonia. He recovered, went onto a stomach feeding tube but the next bout took him. (And he was pretty clear that he was ready to go, too.)

However, none of this seemed like helpful chat while you were still sick. But think of it as a kindness to let me remember my father.
Jonathan
theservant at 2006-11-05 01:12 (UTC) (Link)

Re: pneumonia.

I know where you are coming from, anonymous person.
Your host
nachomama at 2006-11-03 06:16 (UTC) (Link)
I can't BELIEVE you waited for a 103.7 degree fever to go to the doctor! You must feel terrible. On the up side, you're number one!
Jonathan
theservant at 2006-11-03 12:34 (UTC) (Link)
Well I called the doctor on Tuesday and he said that there was really nothing he could do... it was only when I called BACK that they figured it would be easier to see me than to have me calling and being all pesky. Basically, they didn't believe it was the flu until they saw the test. I am pretty sure that some money changed hands in that office over the results.
devils_mouth at 2006-11-03 11:24 (UTC) (Link)
:(

Take care of you.
Jonathan
theservant at 2006-11-03 12:35 (UTC) (Link)
Thanks. I will!
shullie
shullie at 2006-11-03 14:25 (UTC) (Link)
I had Pnemonia and pluresy a couple of years ago... not nice

I hope you feel beter soon - keep taking the chicken soup.. ( full of goodness) as well as the hot lemon,honey and tots of whisky.... (btw without the 'e' means it's scottish - with the 'e' i.e whiskey means it's irish... the scots can get a little pished if you spell it with an 'e'...)

love

shullie
Jonathan
theservant at 2006-11-03 14:34 (UTC) (Link)
Also, American-made is whiskey, and Canadian is Whisky.
(Anonymous) at 2006-11-03 14:54 (UTC) (Link)
Think I'll stick with my 16 year old single malt.. (scotch of course ;)(
funkyirishjew at 2006-11-04 05:35 (UTC) (Link)

take heart

you also have friends that are praying for your relief.

-FIJ
Jonathan
theservant at 2006-11-05 01:13 (UTC) (Link)

Re: take heart

Thanks, although hopefully not the kind that comes at swordpoint.

Thanks, though. That is a nice thing.
Previous Entry  Next Entry